Becoming a mom is an incredible gift. You experience things that you never thought you could and you authentically love someone more than you ever thought possible. Let’s face it…motherhood is a gift that could never be replicated, but let’s be honest…motherhood is freaking exhausting.
In my short 3 years as a mom these are a few things I have learned; I call them my 10 Mommy Tidbits (in order from least important to most important):
10. Monday’s are meant for laundry. You can usually find me sorting, washing, folding and putting away clothes on Monday’s. And no matter how hard I try there will always be one load of laundry left in the dryer for me to fold the next day (it usually sits there a little bit longer though).
9. Toys are always out. Let’s face it you perfectionist seeking mommies out there, unless you are willing to pick up toys 10 times/day, you will never be able to cover enough ground to pick up the destruction left in your child’s wake.
8. You can never have too many snacks stashed in your purse or car. This one isn’t just for my kiddos. If I go too long without eating I get a bad case of the grub shakes and nobody wants to be around me when that’s going on. You will always find me taking a good ol’ snack break with my children. Oh...and we will ALWAYS have a can of pasta and a box of spaghetti in our pantry whenever meal planning fails and we're too lazy to make anything that requires too much effort.
7. No matter how motivated I am, working out ALWAYS sucks. Despite by best efforts (following @fit.co on instagram) it is extremely hard to get me to work out. Hmm…maybe all those years of collegiate athletics has scared me for LIFE!
6. Lip gloss, mascara, and a messy bun are your best friend. As long as you’ve got a hair tie around your wrist and a tube of mascara and lip gloss in your purse you can accomplish just about anything (including going to the grocery without looking like you just rolled out of bed).
(Also...braids. Braids make you look like you put a whole lot more effort into your hair than you actually did. OH. And they're good for days when you just can't make it into the shower in time).
5. Sunglasses can hide a lot. Let’s just say…when you forgot that tube of mascara, sunglasses do a marvelous job of hiding those puffy, sagging eyes.
4. I have a thing about graphic tee’s. I believe you can never go wrong with a cute and casual graphic tee. Pair it with a pair of jean shorts or pants and you're golden.
3. Boots. There’s not much I can say here besides…well…you just gotta have them. They’re my favorite accessory. Whether it’s spring, summer, fall or winter boots are a must and you can never go wrong with some fun and spunky boots.
2. Showering is almost always optional. Who needs a shower when you’ve got dry shampoo and a braid? Enough said.
1. No matter how many cups of coffee you consume on a daily basis, there is no amount of caffeine that can take away the tiredness that you feel.
**I had the amazing opportunity to connect with a very sweet and talented young photographer this past weekend and it just so happens that she was down for an impromptu shoot for this post! How awesome is that!? To see more of her work check out her page Alisa Nicholle Photography. If you're interested in her work feel free to email her: firstname.lastname@example.org.